Thursday, April 26, 2007

Julia Stiles is starring in and producing an adaptation of The Bell Jar. I came upon this news this morning at Pajiba.com, and I also saw it on Gawker.com. When I read it on Pajiba, I was hopeful - I like Stiles, mostly because I still enjoy Ten Things I Hate About You, and I'm a fan of Sylvia Plath's work. The Gawker post made me a bit worried, but it's really the item in Variety that made me lose hope: "Book has many dark overtones, but Rattray said the project will emphasize some of the more uplifting elements. "Esther Greenwood has a strong outlook on life, and we're really looking to bring out the humor in the character," she said. "We don't want to do a depressing descent into the world of suicide."

It's THE BELL JAR, people! There's more than one suicide attempt, electro-shock therapy, and a very bloody deflowering. It's been a while since I've read it, but according to Wikipedia, the end is very open-ended. I imagine that will change - they're probably going to tack on a happy ending where she returns to society all better. Yes, there is some humor, and Esther is strong in some ways, but it's hard to say someone "has a strong outlook on life" when they worry about their future, see no desirable options available to them, and try to kill themselves.

Anyway, this is just another instance of my inability to escape Sylvia Plath. I'm working on my senior English essay (topic: biography in the interpretation of poetry, focusing on Plath as an example), and I was sketching out my plan for my final book arts project today (a flexagon book featuring Plath's 'Lady Lazarus').

No comments: