Thursday, June 26, 2008

I've lived in New York City for a little over a year now, and I've learned a few things.

1. Do not make eye contact with anyone holding a clipboard on the sidewalk. If you do so accidentally, break it quickly and keep walking. The clipboard people general support good causes (Greenpeace, the Democratic party, gay rights, etc), which makes the guilt that much harder to deal with if you actually engage with them.

2. I apparently send out vibes of friendly direction-givingness, at least when I'm near Washington Square Park. I get asked for directions all the time, even when I'm wearing headphones. The lost souls will let half a dozen people go past and single me out. I think I've only (accidentally, I swear) misdirected a few of them.

3. Mixed drinks are more expensive here, but they're also stronger. I don't know why, really, but just know that your usual limit is not a good gauge of how much you can drink. Trust me. If you end up ignoring these words and smashing your forehead into a window that is closer than it appears, well, that's your own fault.

4. Speaking of deceptive windows: do not lean in closer to examine those pretty decorative eggs or whatever is on display in that gallery. It will only bring about embarrassment and pain. Again, just trust me on this one.

No comments: