Sunday, September 28, 2008

My iBook died last night. It froze up and the trackpad stopped responding. I restarted. It made all the right noises, but the screen didn't light up. I turned it off, tried again. No good. Today I took it to a repair place. The verdict? The logic board, the brain of the computer, had died. My hard drive is fine and can be salvaged, which I'll look into soonish. But the computer is unusable without the logic board. Replacing it would cost somewhere around $700 - not worth it since the computer was 4 or so years old. So I went to the Apple store and picked up a shiny new MacBook. It's lovely, but it doesn't feel like mine yet. Right now I'm transferring music and some other stuff from my external hard drive, trying to get the settings just so, etc. And the computer is similar to what I had, but it's different enough that not all the shortcuts and habits that I had will work. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for right now, I miss Athena.

2 comments:

nadarine said...

It will be ok, I promise. The Macbook will be your shiny new friend.
Also, I love that you named your laptop. I had a desktop named Cleo, and My Lover the Macbook is named Nigella. (The iPod, clearly, is Nigel.)

Jen said...

Before I got my first Mac, a friend of mine told me about one his family had gotten. It was freezing up a lot and generally misbehaving. The tech people suggested renaming the Mac HD. They named it Hal, and it started behaving normally. So when I got my iBook I decided to name it right away.

I got an external HD for Athena that I named Glaux (owl); the backup info is in a folder called Aegis (shield). I am geeky. I never named my iPod, though.

The new MacBook is Barnabas, after a Sandman character.