Wednesday, July 09, 2008

There's been a bit of a kerfluffle over at Jezebel, a site that has been very near and dear to me this past year. In many ways it's a complicated bit of internet politics and grudges, but this Salon article sums up many aspects of the recent shit-storm pretty well.

A lot of the "old guard" commenters have been leaving (or getting banned), and the quality of the comments has been changing for the past few months. I used to read all the comments on certain posts, but lately I can't get through many unless the subject is very important to me. (I did skim all 1000+ comments of a recent post discussing Moe and Tracie's appearance on Thinking and Drinking, but this is because a) I'm insane and b) I was working the evening shift and didn't have much to do.)

Jezebel got me through some rough periods this year - feeling lonely and friendless in NYC, a heart-wrenching breakup, bouts of renewed depression. And for that, I am grateful to it and for it. I met some great people because of it, and I'm hoping I'll stay friends with many of them. Some of them have their own wonderful blogs, and I'm turning to them to feel the procrastination void.

I'm not going to abandon Jezebel completely - there's still some great posts on it. I strongly recommend reading things posted by Megan C and Dodai, and some of the other contributers are good too. The "Fine Lines" feature on Fridays is great. But I'm going to pare down my 'friends' list, maybe use it to track great commenters so I can read their stuff without having to wade through the rest. I'm going to try not to get emotionally invested. It's draining and time-consuming, and the costs aren't worth the benefits anymore.

In some ways, I guess I'm just fickle. I'll get devoted to or obsessed with something - a band, a website, a comic strip - and then I'll get burned out and just stop. The best of the bunch manage to renew my interest; these are the things I stick with. We'll see if Jezebel manages to make the cut.

No comments: