Friday, June 06, 2003

Now I'm officially done with high school. I gave my speech, walked across the stage, got the diploma, and all that jazz.

It's bittersweet, in a way. I am very much glad to be done and moving on to college. There's no doubt about that. But I will miss some of my friends... Yeah, there's email and things like that, but it's not exactly the same. I'll also miss some of the teachers -- the really good ones who deserve so much more than Quincy offers them, both in terms of money and respect. Then there are the things I won't miss... Bag checks that serve no real purpose, the daily announcements with the slow-motion pledge, the incredibly slow people in the halls, the over-done guilt trips from the music director... I could go on for awhile, I think. Yeah, there's a lot I won't miss. But even though there's more that I won't miss than I will, the things that I will miss are so potent and strong that in the end the two sides, the "won't miss" and "will miss," just about balance out... I guess the "won't miss" has a slight edge.

I finally figured out what was in the box from Swat. It was a sweater for a teddy bear, my gift from Ben. It's cute -- a plush bear in a maroon sweater with a big "S" for Swarthmore on it. And my other brother gave me a long letter, filled with thoughtful advice which I will definately take to heart. Okay, there's that bit about long-distance relationships that I'm probably going to convienently forget, but other than that, it should be helpful.

I've survived today without any horrible mishaps... Now I have to get through tomorrow (An open house, where I have to be sociable -- though my mother assures me that I don't have to be perky. After all, that would be unnatural...)

Okay, I think I've rambled enough for now. My foot has fallen asleep... Ouch, it tingles now. Owie...



No comments: