Thursday, July 28, 2005

I was asked to continue working at the library during the school year. I said I would, and now I have to figure out how many hours, when, etc. So, with colored markers and a class schedule card in hand, I am attempting to plan out my semester. This of course doesn't take into account things like RA duties, my radio show, and an attempt at a life...

Absolutes: classes, time to eat

This crosses off the block of about 12 to 4 pm on Monday and Wednesday, 12 to 4:30 on Tuesday and Thursday, and 12 to 1 pm and then 2 to 5 pm on Friday. I will not be working afternoons, it seems.

That leaves mornings and evenings. Also weekends, I guess, though those are kind of sacred time and messing with them is to be avoided. Same goes for morning before 9:30 at least. My first class isn't until 1 pm this semester; I am not getting up early. I assume I will be doing much of the same stuff that I've been doing this summer, with the focus on dealing with gov docs. Either way, I'm sure I'll be working in tech services, not doing homework while sitting at the circ desk. It helps to have people around to answer questions/tell me what to do. Said people probably don't work on weekends or in the evenings. It looks like I'll be working mornings.

I told myself that I'd try to get to the gym a few mornings a week. While this will probably go the route of the noncredit yoga class (skipped for sleep, catching up on reading, last minute work, etc), I still don't want to abandon the idea before the semester even starts. Since I have ballet on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, I don't really want to go to the gym on those mornings. That means gym on M, W, F or some combination thereof.

That leaves Tuesday and Thursday mornings for work. This nicely corresponds to the days that the labels for the gov docs come in and need to be dealt with. Now, what time? I said nothing before 9:30, and I meant it. So perhaps 10 to noon? (4 hours a week, the minimum) Or 9:30 to noon? (5 hours)

A backlog of about 2 weeks of gov docs (i.e. all the docs that came in while I was gone - I don't think anyone touched them, they seem to have become my special job) took me basically an entire day to get through. So 4 or 5 hours should be enough to deal with them as they come in, I think. I don't know. Meh. I'll talk to my boss about it tomorrow, try and figure it out.

Now to wash dishes and get to bed.

No comments: