Monday, September 12, 2005

I've been thinking about tattoos a fair amount lately, thinking of whether or not I'd want to add to mine. Such things happen when you look at pictures of tattoos... I didn't expect it, but I feel a bit of an itching. If I do any more tattoos, they will be text. Given how much I love writing and reading, how predominately text has featured in my life, it seems only fitting.

I was thinking about some lines from a Sylvia Plath poem: "The sky's far dome is sane and clear." This ties directly to the tattoo I already have; I read the poem the day before I got my tattoo, and it resonated with me and my reasons for getting a celestial design. And then today, in class, I came across another line: "My body / writes into your flesh / the poem / you make of me" It's from the poem Recreation, by Audre Lorde. She's not a poet I'm familar with, but I really enjoyed the poem, and I loved that particular part. It calls to mind this sort of interconnectedness between the lovers in the poem, this infinite loop of creation through love, and the image is just amazingly powerful to me. And the "writes into your flesh" line just makes it scream to be used in a tattoo.

I haven't convinced myself to get either of them done, and it's quite likely I won't. But the idea is there, floating around, wanting to be fleshed out.

Time for a nap now, then reading, then swing, then more work. Whee...

No comments: