Monday, November 07, 2005

I am no longer frustrated with the theatre department. In fact, I currently adore the theatre department. My meeting with the head of the department turned an otherwise horrible day into a good one.

I wore my steel-toed boots today so I would feel tough and strong and so that nothing would screw with me. The world laughed and messed with me anyway... I was running late this morning, so I decided to grab a bag lunch instead of going to Sharples. When I got there, there were no bag lunches left. I scurry off to print off things for class, stealing a sandwich from Robert on the way. I deal with printing things, then scurry back to Tarble to get yogurt. Such a good lunch. I then head to class, stopping by the English office to see if they had posted the list of people for the poetry workshop. They had. I was not on the list. Despair and frustration, but no time for tears -- it's off to class. I make it through two and a half hours of class without breaking down, then go to the design lab to look up possible replacement classes. Someone is working in there, so I can't cry there either. I finally make my way to Cornell and cry on Emily's shoulder (quite literally). And then I prep for my meeting with Allen.

This is where the day became good. To get my minor in theatre with a specialization in play-writing/dramaturgy, this is what I have left to take: Production Dramaturgy, Play-writing Special Project, and Performance Theory and Practice. That's it. Other design classes that I'm considering are just icing on the cake. The ease of getting this established was astounding, and then having Allen go on to talk and encourage me to do more design, to help with productions, etc... It was what I needed then, and it made me really, really happy. It was followed by a fun dinner (as dinners usually are when we have a table full of people), and my mood was greatly improved.

So. Here's the tentative schedule for next semester as of now:

Monday: Production Dramaturgy, 1-4 pm
Tuesday: Theory of the Novel, 11:20 am-12:35 pm
Wednesday: Play-writing, 1-4 pm, choir 7-10 pm
Thursday: Theory of the Novel, 11:20 am-12:35 pm
Friday: -

My other class is not yet scheduled, but it will be a design special project (i.e. I get credit for doing costume designs for two shows a student is doing next semester). So yeah. Three theatre, one English, a busy but hopefully happy me.

As for the rest of my time at Swat... (oh-so-tentative)

Senior fall: Shakespeare, Survey I: Beowulf to Milton, Performance Theory and Practice, x (where x may = Senior Company, may be something else)
Senior spring: Modernism: Theory and Fiction, culminating essay (0.5 credit requirement for my major), x, y, and maybe z (if I decide not to go for a 3.5 credit final semester, which is very tempting...)

x may = Production Ensemble I, or x+y may = the theatre history seminar, if it is available. If I can take the seminar, I will probably do so, because if I do that and Senior Company the semester before and they let me count the design special project for the Advanced Design credit... Well, then I'd have a major. But that seems unlikely. As it is, if I do the design project next semester and then some other design credit the next year, I would basically have a design specialization in addition to my play-writing/dramaturgy one. That would be neat.

At the same time, hopefully one of the open classes in my remaining semesters will take the form of a class I can count towards my creative writing emphasis. This would take the form of either the poetry workshop or fiction workshop offered my senior spring, or some other sort of arrangement that I devise with Nat (classes at Bryn Mawr or Haverford perhaps?)

Appealing classes at Bryn Mawr: Short Fiction I, Creative Nonfiction, Screenwriting, Writing for Children. There are also some classes at Haverford, but they don't sound as interesting. Also, do you really expect me to pass up a class that could be like WFC, Part 2? I think not.

Now time to do more work for costume design. Yay sketches and watercolor pencils...

No comments: