Tuesday, February 03, 2004

I am a drowned rat. Well, I was. I'm dry now. But my Pumas are saturated, and my jeans are still dripping. Luckily my studio art portfolio is more water-resistant than it looks. Otherwise things could have gotten very messy. As it is, the campus as a whole is rather messy. Lots of melting-snow slush and big sea-like puddles everywhere, and then drab grey sky and ground broken up with sad looking trees and buildings. Early Febuary is not a pretty time here. But I don't think it's a pretty time anywhere.

My first radio show of the semester is tonight. I'm looking forward to it. And Claudia is promoting my show on her blog. That makes me feel very loved. Thank you!

I'm giving into the whole "find the meaning of your name" thing that Camden, Claudia, and Bun-Bun have done...

JENNIFER f English
Pronounced: JEN-i-fur
Cornish form of Gwenhwyfar (see GUINEVERE).

GUINEVERE f English, Welsh Mythology
Pronounced: GWIN-e-veer
Old French form of the Welsh name Gwenhwyfar, which is composed of the elements gwen meaning "fair, white" and hwyfar meaning "smooth". In Arthurian legend she is the beautiful wife of King Arthur. Her betrayal of her husband with Mordred prompted the battle of Camlann, which led to the deaths of both Mordred and Arthur. Later versions of the legends tell of her adulterous affair with Sir Lancelot.

CATHERINE f English, French
Pronounced: KATH-u-rin (English), KATH-rin (English), ka-TREEN (French)
English variant and French form of KATHERINE

KATHERINE f English
Pronounced: KATH-u-rin, KATH-rin
From the Greek name Aikaterine. The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name Hekaterine, which came from hekateros "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek aikia "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans falsely derived it from Greek katharos "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives.

And Behind the Name only had first names, so I don't have anything for my last name. I think it's derived from the German word for "red," though.

But as it is, my first and middle name seem to imply that I'm a smooth, white girl who may have an affair that will either result in someone being tortured or consecrated. (Or perhaps consecrated while being tortured...) It also seems that there's a good chance I'm royalty (either Russian or English) and just don't know it.

I will now find something else to do to kill time until dinner and my radio show.

No comments: