Monday, March 28, 2005

Alright, so here's what I'm thinking for next semester:

Grendel's Workshop - New Texts from Old... A writing class, spent reworking fairy tales, etc. Should be cool, but I may get lotteried out. If I do, then I turn to the Playwriting Workshop.

Life Drawing... Yay art!

Philosophy of Religion... The one part of my intro religion course that I really enjoyed was focused on this sort of stuff, so it should be interesting.

Costume Design... This could be really interesting, and I could see it as a throwback to the days when I wanted to be a fashion designer. Yes, I did want that. I wrote a paper on it in 8th grade. Then I realized I probably would never be able to sew that well. On a related note, taking this course will hinge on how much sewing is involved, how much sewing experience is expected, etc. Or I may throw caution to the wind and take it not matter what. We'll see.

Ballet I... Yes, ballet. I would take this as a gym class. Other possibility, if I chicken out, would be to just do fitness training again. But taking ballet could be really cool.

So, my schedule for next semester could look like this:

Monday: Nothing. Repeat after me: nothing. Oh, bliss!

Tuesday: Life Drawing, 8:30-11:10 am... Painful but worth it, I think. And it's not like I'll have to be nicely dressed for class.
Philosophy of Religion, 1:15-2:30 pm
Ballet or fitness training, 2:40-3:55 pm

Wednesday: Grendel's Workshop or Playwriting Workshop, 1:15-4 pm
Choir, 7:15-9:45 pm... That's right, I'm going back. I want to sing.

Thursday: Same as Tuesday

Friday: Costume Design, 2:15-5:15 pm

So the 8:30s are scary, but made up by having nothing on Monday and nothing before lunch on Wednesday or Friday. Same for having a late afternoon class on Friday. The scary thing is that I won't have a "real" English class -- Grendel's Workshop would count as an English credit, but it's a creative writing class rather than what I'm used to. And if that falls through, playwriting is technically a theatre course. The idea of not having an English lit class is scary, the idea of not having any class in my major at all is even scarier. However, if I get into Grendel and then take all the other English courses I'm planning on, I will meet all the requirements, plus have an extra English credit. If I don't, I'll meet all the requirements and still be okay. And it looks like I'll be taking 2 English courses per semester after next fall anyway, so that should make up for it guilt-wise.

Still, the idea is scary, since I don't know if the courses I want to after this semester will conflict. At the same time, there just aren't many English lit classes that I want to take next semester -- most of the classes are First Year Seminars or real seminars, which are either unavailable to me or just too damn long, and the ones that are left... Well, they just don't excite me so much.

Looking over the offerings again, there is one other possibility to think of: Lyric Encounters, another writing course. 1, it's with Nat, who is an amazing prof. 2, it seems a lot like the poetry workshop only with "substantial literary analysis" added on, and without the portfolio submission requirement. So maybe I'll do that instead of costume design?

That would make my schedule look like this:

Monday: Lyric Encounters, 1:15-4 pm

Tuesday: Life Drawing, 8:30-11:10 am
Philosophy of Religion, 1:15-2:30 pm
Ballet or fitness training, 2:40-3:55 pm

Wednesday: Grendel's Workshop or Playwriting Workshop, 1:15-4 pm
Choir, 7:15-9:45 pm

Thursday: Same as Tuesday

Friday: No classes!

And to be honest, isn't a Friday without classes even better than a Monday without classes? And if I do Lyric Encounters AND Grendel's Workshop, the only English requirement I'll have to make sure to get is the pre-1830s ones, which I can manage -- the post-1830s is a piece of cake as I only need one more. And if I don't get into Grendel's, I'd still be in an English class. And if I don't get into either, then I panic briefly and fill the slots in with theatre classes, hopefully, and still manage to fulfill my major requirements in the following semesters.

Okay. So here's what I'm hoping to take next semester:

Academic classes: Lyric Encounters, Grendel's Workshop, Life Drawing, Philosophy of Religion
Other credits: Choir, Ballet I

Rock.

No comments: