Monday, March 28, 2005

I have been deceived. Well, not really. But one of the courses I was planning on taking next semester, one that was supposed to be offered, is apparently not being offered. It was, unfortunately one of the pre-1830s courses that I need for my major. I could take Shakespeare instead, but I really wanted to do that next fall, when Nora is teaching it. But I need another pre-1830s class now. Semester after next I'm tentatively taking 2 post-1830s classes, and I don't want to give either of those up. Fall semester of senior year I want to take Shakespeare... I don't really want to do the seminar, though that would give me both credits I need. There are a few other options of things I could take, but none of them sound super-thrilling... And the idea of doing both my pre-1830s classes in one semester is less than ideal, because, well, I just don't like that stuff as much. At the same time, leaving a requirement until spring of my senior year makes me worried -- plus, none of those options sound very thrilling.

So I think I'm toying between going with a) the Shakespeare seminar or b) doing the Shakespeare course and the Beowulf to Milton survey in Fall 2006.

Pros for option a) Get both credits at once, read lots of Shakespeare, should be able to get in because I'll be a senior major
Cons for option b) Read lots of Shakespeare (2 plays a week), have a 4 hour long class, may have trouble getting in since I'm not an honors major

Pros for option b) Non-seminar courses, shouldn't have trouble getting into the survey course since it's a core course and is therefore fairly large
Cons for option b) 2 pre-1830s at once

I could substitute Lyric Poem in English for the survey course, but I'm not sure about that. I like the prof, but it focuses on the elements of poetry that I'm not as interested in -- namely the rhythm, the syllables, the effect that has. I did some of it in my Modern American Poetry class (it was the same professor), and while it was interesting, I'm not sure how well I'd do with it when it's an entire class. Also, it apparently will feature an in-depth study of one poet as part of the course... And I don't know who that poet will be.

I guess I'll be putting this decision on hold until this time next year... Now to find a replacement for the course I thought I was going to take, as well as a backup in case I get lotteried out of the writing course I want to take. Gah.

No comments: