Monday, October 31, 2005

Oh English department, why must you spite me so? 2 classes that I'm thinking about taking - Contemporary Women's Poetry and Theory of the Novel are offered at the exact same time. Of course! Both are post-1830, so requirements don't hold any sway in the decision making process. I guess I'm leaning towards Theory of the Novel because I've already taken a lot of poetry, and it would be good for me to do something else. But that would make Lyric Encounters my last class with Nat, because I'm pretty sure she's on leave my senior year. And that's sad, because Nat is awesome. But Lesjak teaches Theory of the Novel, and she was my advisor for freshman year, and she seemed really cool...

So Swat English majors/minors/dabblers out there - any further imput?

Other things to figure out before I deal with scheduling next semester: if I got into the poetry workshop and if I really want to minor in theatre and what that would entail.

IF I get into the workshop, that would be Tuesdays, 1:15-4 pm. This would mean no life drawing or Japanese film and animation as possibilities.

IF I go for the minor in theatre, I would probably need to take advanced design (Wednesdays, 1-4 pm) and may also want to do the dramaturgy class (Mondays, 1-4 pm).

IF I get into the workshop AND decide to go for the minor, my schedule would probably be something like this:

Mon: Dramaturgy, 1-4 pm
Tues: Theory of Novel, 11:20 am-12:35 pm; poetry workshop 1:15-4 pm
Wed: Advanced design, 1-4 pm; choir 7-10 pm
Thurs: Theory of Novel, 11:20 am-12:35 pm
Fri: Nothing

Classes I really want to take but won't manage to, unless all my other classes fall through: oil painting (Mon and Wed, 1:15-4). And that's really the only one. None of the philosophy or psych classes particularly appeal to me, and I'm pretty happy in my little humanities niche.

I've enjoyed my PoR class this semester, but not more than my other classes. If I had to rank my courses, Lyric Encounters would win, followed by play-writing, and then costume design would probably just beat out philosophy of religion. Looking back at it, the idea of my majoring in anything but English Lit seems funny. And even if I add the theatre minor, that's often very connected with lit in my mind.

The only thing I'm hoping for right now is that during my senior fall the two pre-1830 classes I want (need) to take don't conflict. Please, please, please...

No comments: