Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas Eve to everyone!

I love Christmas, even though I'm thoroughly agnostic (with occasional bouts of deism). Christmas is the one time of year when I'll go to church willingly. I love Christmas carols (especially sung by candlelight) -- they give me warm fuzzies. I think Christmas decorations are splendid, and Christmas cookies are great. I adore How the Grinch Stole Christmas, with it's fun songs and immense cuteness. I like being at home with my family. All in all, it's a great holiday.

Except for the church service, my Christmas has become pretty secular. I decorated my mini-tree today, putting on little ornaments. There was Marvin the Martian, Yoda, the Grinch, various other Dr. Seuss creatures, snowflakes, gingerbread men, and so forth. The closets things to religious icons were the star on the top and an angel ornament. Everything else? Super secular. And I'm happy about that. I like that I can enjoy the holiday without tying myself to religion too closely. Oh, I know that that idea make more religious people quiver with anger. But I don't really care. The holiday makes me happy -- not so much because of the presents (which are always nice, of course), but more due to the increased willingness of people to share and connect with others. Serious warm fuzzies.

So, merry secular Christmas to all, and happy holidays, and happy Hanukkah, and everything else. I hope the holidays find you happy and healthy.

No comments: