Sunday, April 25, 2004

I had forgotten how absolutely fantastic Saves the Day's Stay What You Are album is. Well, not really forgotten, but I had been distracted by other good stuff, mostly indie rock. But god... This album is great. I don't think there's a single song on here that I don't like. And my firm belief that this is one of the best CDs I own, when contrasted with Pitchfork's rating of it as a 2.9 ("heard worse, but still pretty bad") probably explains why I'm only occasionally happy with their reviews. They have given good reviews to other groups I like (Ted Leo, Pretty Girls Make Graves, The Wrens, The Postal Service), but they've also given pretty horrid reviews to other CDs I love, like The Get Up Kids' Something to Write Home About, Hey Mercedes' Everynight Fireworks, and Jimmy Eat World's Clarity. I would say they just really don't like emo, but they did give Jets to Brazil's Orange Rhyming Dictionary, which I would consider at least somewhat emo, an 8.7, well in the range for "exceptional." Oh well.

No comments: