Sunday, April 11, 2004

An odd coincidence to note... I'm reading Fasting Girls: The History of Anorexia Nervosa for my abnormal psych class. It's talking about Sir William Gull at the moment, who was one of the first people to focus on anorexia in the modern sense (i.e. unrelated to religious fasting, fasting as a stunt, etc), and he apparently came up with the term "anorexia nervosa." And as I was reading along, I also learned that he helped treat Prince Edward for typhoid fever, and afterwards Queen Victoria began to rely on him and he was the physician for the royal family. And then something hit me: this is the guy from From Hell! I just looked it up and confirmed it. Sir William Gull, who is the culprit in the movie/graphic novel, which follows the "royal scandal" theory of the murders. Weird. So the guy who may or may not have been Jack the Ripper (or at least may have been involved in it) presented the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa to the world.

No comments: