Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Reading through my psych notes this evening has made me feel like I may not take any more psych classes. All my notes have doodles in the margins, and a very high rate of things like "I need sleep" written here and there (often between lines of completely illegible notes)... So... Yeah. I'm interested in most of the readings (though more of the mental/cognitive stuff than the biological/physiological), but class just cannot hold my attention. And that's a definite problem.

We were assigned a paper today in astronomy class. Whee. It shouldn't be too bad, which is good. And the midterm for that class will also be non-scary, since it's not worth all that much. Yay!
I'm not overly interested in the subject matter of my astro class, but it's probably one of my favorite classes this semester. Part of it is because it's really not difficult at all. But a lot of it is because Professor Jensen is awesome. He reminds me quite a bit of Klauser, actually. He's not quite as quotable as Klauser, but he does have some good things now and then. Today he called Pluto "the freakshow of the solar system"... Past ones include "Let's do it... Just because it's fun" (about determining the speed of the Earth's rotation, and sounds a hell of a lot like a Klauserism), and "The NASA term for it is de-orbiting. That means it crashes" (during a discussion of what will happen to the Hubble Space Telescope if no more repairs/rocket boosts are okayed).
Also, today there was a cool demo involving conservation of angular momentum. Imagine a figure skater during a spin, only replace the skater with a lanky college prof and the ice with a lazy-susan type deal... And then toss in a bicycle wheel that can be used to change directions. (Trust me, the demo makes much more sense is a) you know what angular momentum is, and b) you actually see it...)

Okay. Will continue my break from studying away from the computer, and will review some more psych stuff before I go to sleep.

No comments: