Saturday, November 22, 2003

I went to the chamber music concert last night... Well, the first half of it, anyway. I left at intermission because I was sleepy and needed to do something to wake up. But the first half was all that really mattered to me, because I got to hear the quartet that Nell is in. They played Dmitri Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8, Opus 110, and it was amazing. It's dedicated to the victims of facsism or some such thing... And the music definately reflects this. The first movement is kinda of sad but nice, then the next two have this attack thing going on, which is throughly creepy, and then the last movement goes back to the sad. I don't know how else to describe it really... But it was good. The quartet recieved uproarious applause. They left, and the applause continued. They were brought back, and they got a standing ovation. I'm sure the two trios that went before them (playing Beethoven and Mozart, respectively) were thoroughly jealous. But while they had been pretty good, the quartet was great.

Anyway. After that, went back to the dorm for a bit, killed some time, and then played poker for about two hours. It was pretty fun... I lost some money, but not that much. The main problem was that one of the guys was crossing the line with some of his comments. I think everyone warned him to back off at least once, but he just kept going. After the last straw, I dealt him a few punches. The consensus of the other four people playing was that he deserved it completely.

After that, hung out for a bit more, then got some sleep. I've eaten brunch now, but I'm still in my pajamas and am feeling utterly unmotivated... I really need to read history, but the idea is not that exciting. I also have essays to ponder: English, final essay in English, and philosophy. And then there's things to read and so on. Gah.

I think I shall kill just a bit more time, then go be productive.

No comments: