Thursday, February 03, 2005

I just got back from a run... So nice to run outside. It warmed up enough today that I didn't have to worry about ice too much. Of course, I got careless at the end of the run -- I didn't hit any ice, but I did manage to slightly turn my ankle in a pothole. Nothing too bad -- it feels fine already. Just a hurt pride and grime on my pretty, previously clean shoes. Oh well -- they're just running shoes; I don't wear them for anything but exercise.

The run was very short -- 10 minutes. All my runs are short -- I really don't have that much endurance yet. But at least it was a full-out run, not a slow jog. I've really started to enjoy running a lot this past year. Before, in track, when I had to run, I didn't like it as much. But now, there's something really appealing about it. Part of it is probably that it's no longer mandatory. I don't run every day, I don't even run every week. But when I want to, I can, and I enjoy it. There's something really great about stepping out into the cold air, feeling a chill, and then running until your practically overheated. You run through the aching, the haggard breathing, until you reach a rhythm and the momentum just keeps you going. I don't need to think about anything, I just focus on my feet hitting the ground, my breathe going in and out. It's really wonderful... I'm hoping the weather stays decent so I can keep this up. Running outside, in the evening is great -- running in the afternoon on the indoor track is not so fun.

The Europe trip is a go -- we're ordering our tickets tomorrow. There will be 5 of us -- me, Kyle, Greg, Alex, and Emily. A good group. This should be a lot of fun.

No comments: