Saturday, February 26, 2005

Up until now I had never really bothered to form an opinion on Haverford students. After the Ratatat concert, I have formed one. And it's not a very good one.

The concert itself was good. The first band, The Nein, wasn't all that impressive. The second one, The Double, was pretty good. And Ratatat themselves were awesome. Yay for two guys doing amazing things with just a guitar and a bass... Really good stuff.

The problem was the crowd. All events at Swarthmore are open to Haverford and Bryn Mawr students, and vice versa. Usually this means that Bryn Mawr girls will come here for parties, and that's about all. But for some reason, there was a swarm of Haverford students at the show. I know that I don't know everyone on campus, but I can recognize a great many of them... And at least half of the crowd tonight was completely unfamiliar. It was weird -- kind of like the media lounge situation. All of this would have been fine, except for the fact that they seemed to have no sense of concert decorum whatsoever. There are kind of unwritten rules for concerts. You don't shove your way to the front when the people up there are already jam-packed. You don't boo the band because they're not setting up fast enough. You don't yell and clap along out of rhythm at odd, annoying times. You don't start moshing at a show that's just not meant for moshing. All of these things were done, and more. Is it possible that Swatties were involved in this as well? Yes. But the people who were the most annoying were also the ones who booed and cried "Go Haverford" whenever a band said "Hello Swarthmore." So I have a hunch that my bitterness is directed towards the right area.

Other than that bit of frustration, Friday was good overall. I was really groggy during classes, but I was lucky enough to not be randomly called on in the English class I was unprepared for. And then I had an afternoon nap and went out to dinner, both of which were great.

The rest of the weekend should be good, but also really busy. I turned in my WA draft of my Homer paper today, and then got an email this evening from the WA. I didn't have time to seek out quotes and textual support to a great degree, and I noted this at the top of my paper. So she asked if I could do that and revise the draft and email it to her before my conference with her. Part of me says sure, this is a good idea, that way I get better input. Part of me is just grumpy, not really caring about the input, and not wanting to have to cram all that work into tomorrow. But I'll do the best I can. Other work includes reading Aristotle's "Poetics" and some more Nietzsche, along with some poetry for English class. I also need to draw a self-portrait for an acting exercise, and in theory I should really meet with my scene partners to practice before Wednesday. I also need to do a response paper on the night of scenes I saw, as well as on the show I'm going to see on Sunday.

Gah. This weekend allows no time for really slacking off, which is no good at all.

Time for sleep.

No comments: