Thursday, May 12, 2005

As I approach my 7th page for my paper (and am nowhere done discussing even the stuff from WWI), I am beginning to think that my focus is far too broad. Therefore, it is being narrowed. Instead of disillusionment in general throughout Modernism, I will now be showing the trend towards greater disillusionment, using the poems of WWI (soldiers - very disillusioned, civilians - still believe in notions of glory, sacrifice to some degree) and the poems of WWII (fewer soldiers writing, but the disillusionment is clear in civilian writings, especially after Hiroshima). Mr. Eliot, I'm sorry, but as your text "The Waste Land" falls in between the wars, I will choose to ignore it, though it really does fit into the whole idea of disillusionment.

Time to go back and revise/reformat what I have so far... Then, probably after the English picnic, I can attack the WWII stuff... (Atomic bomb! Lost faith in humanity, compassion! Lack of hope! Cynicism!)

This will be over tomorrow. Then I get to deal with Existentialism, which will no doubt improve my mood dramatically.

No comments: