Monday, May 09, 2005

I'm gathering bits and pieces of poems to use in my paper for English. I went through and selected poets that had tones and themes of disillusionment (that's the core of my thesis, that Modernism is very disillusioned and a bit cynical), and now I'm going through their poems and drawing out key bits. This will take awhile, I think. I'm finishing up the first one, and that's yielded me over 3 pages of stuff -- Siegfried Sassoon, like many of the poets around WWI, was quite disillusioned with the war, and it shows up in his work, along with trenches, corpses, and other realities that are neither glorious nor white-washed.

So, plus side: I'll have lots of material to work with, lots of things to use as support for my thesis. Downside: Lots to deal with, sort through, etc. I can only use so much.

No comments: