Thursday, May 26, 2005

I am not thinking about how much I am going to hurt tomorrow. I am also not thinking about how moving my right arm over to the mouse causes a twinge of pain. No, I am going to ignore all of that.

The pain that does not exist is the result of taiko - about 2 hours of it. For those who know what taiko is, you may understand why I hurt. For those that don't... Well, taiko is Japanese drumming. Doesn't sound like it should be physically painful, right? Imagine standing in a lunge-like position, with both arms raised straight above your head. Hold this position for about 2 hours. That's roughly what I did, only with arm movement.

It was really cool, though. Very neat, though there was a huge period of frustration in the middle when I couldn't get the rhythms down at all. Grr to my lack of coordination and all. I stayed after with Victoria for a bit, though, and she helped me with some stuff, and I feel a bit better about it. So hopefully I'll get the hang of it and all will be well.

The plan is to meet on Thursdays at 8 pm this summer. Based on the soreness I already feel, I can tell that I will not be going to the gym tomorrow... Or any other Friday. So now I need to figure out what I'm going to do. My original workout plan was to go to the gym and lift weights on M, W, F, and go running and do yoga on Tuesday, and go running and do taiko on Thursday. Now, however...

I know I can't lift weights on Friday, but I also feel like lifting on Wednesday would be bad -- I'd be sore before I ever made it to taiko. The gym isn't open on weekends, so I can't do anything then as far as weights go. So maybe I'll limit myself to weight lifting on Tuesdays and taiko on Thursdays, with running, crunches, and maybe yoga on the other weekdays? Since I'm not as concerned with getting ripped as I am with just general health, etc., this may be my best bet. We'll see.

Now, however, I am going to stretch out my sore muscles and then take a nice shower, then crash. Crashing is good...

No comments: