Monday, March 24, 2003

The following is the sort of thing that pops into my head in the morning when I'm getting ready for school and I'm running through all the things I need to work on in the coming days and weeks: psych presentation, chem homework, chem journal, scholarship essay, track, clean my room, this, that, god knows what else... Then I remember I have to do a project in math for the end of the year, and suddenly my mind goes off on a little tangent.

My topic is the Golden Ratio. It's one of those really odd things that occur in nature that's difficult to chalk up to chance - the kind of thing that sort of makes me believe that there's some sort of higher being or creator . Note that I did not say it makes me believe in God. If anything, things like this would weaken my faith in the Judeo-Christian deity, assuming I had some faith left to weaken.

The prevalence of the Golden Ratio and such things shows a certain logic and order where you wouldn't neccessarily expect it - pinecones, some seashells, and so on. The Christian relgion, in my opinion, does not display this logical order. If I think about Christianity and the ideas it's based on for a little bit, I'm always reminded of a gigantic legal loophole.

God creates the world, etc. and He eventually gives His Chosen People the Ten Commandments. They can't follow them all, and He knows this... But they're damned to Hell for their failure anyways. After a few millenia of this, God decides Heaven needs some fresh blood... After all, the angels are pretty cool, but c'mon... He's been hanging out with them since before The Beginning. This poses a problem, however: how can He get people into Heaven without going back on His previous edict of eternal damnation?

"Hmmm...." God ponders. "Whatever shall I do?"
"If The Almighty does not mind me saying so, I think that I might have an idea..." says the archangel Michael. And so Michael presents the plan: send God's Only Son down to Earth, have all the people who believe in him get a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, and booyah! Party in Heaven!
"Wonderful idea," comments God.
"Of course," replies Michael smugly. "I am one of your perfect creations, after all."

And there you have it. The dangers of me thinking about my math project early in the morning. Scary and delightfully offensive, no?

Hmm. This is the sort of post that makes me kind of glad that while I have a link to my email on here, I do not currently have one of those handy-dandy commenting systems. Though I don't know if it would really matter - I only know of one very devout Christian who reads my blog, and she and I have an understanding about the subject of religion. Either way, I'm not sure if I'm in the mood to be called a blasphemer at the moment. Oh well.





No comments: