Friday, March 28, 2003

Studying abnormal psychology is making me somewhat paranoid. I'm listening to the presentations, hearing them rattle off the symptoms of each disorder, and somewhere in the back of my mind I have a little checklist and I'm going through them... I haven't met the criteria for any of them except for depression... And that one's sort of a given in my case.

The really interesting thing in psych today was the tape my teacher played. It's supposed to simulate the auditory hallucinations of a schizophrenic. We didn't get to listen to much of it, but it was a woman at a job interview. You hear her say a few things, but there are also a lot of male voices... One of which is apparently the interviewer, the others... Well, the others are inside her head. Most of the comments were negative (You aren't qualified, why did you think you could get this job, you'll never get a job, you're so stupid, etc), but there were some other things (What are you talking about, what's going on, etc). And to be quite honest, it was very hard to figure out which was which... (Though I'm willing to bet that the manical laughter was not coming from the interviewer...).

I'm almost tempted to try and borrow the tape and listen to the whole thing... I'm afraid that my worry my psych teacher though... She's a nice lady, I don't want to get her all panicked. But even though the tape was a bit freaky, it was intriguing... There was a certain aspect of it that I was familiar with, which is somewhat disturbing. The thing is, when I hear hateful angry voices putting me down, I know that they're coming from inside my head, and I know that they are me. I don't know if that situation is any better, but hey, at least I've still got my grip on reality. And I'm confident that I do not have antisocial personality disorder (aka sociopathy or psychopathy)... And hey, that's always a plus.

No comments: