Thursday, August 28, 2003

Okay, things I did not do today: Take various placement exams, attend the pre-law, pre-med, pre-whatever else meetings, go watch The Goonies, and party at a frat. Things I did do: Checked out my mailbox, went to a meeting about classes and requirements and such, played a quiz game, got a free plant, got a free mug and some ice cream, went to a Quaker-style collection meeting, got into a semi-political discussion that morphed into pure randomness involving lending libraries and computer programs, went to a kick-ass open mic night, and had about 10 people in my room just sitting around and talking for at least 2 hours. All in all, today was a very good day...

I'm loving it here. The people here are amazing. I've also discovered that I'm pretty sucky at actually starting conversations and making introductions and such... But if I'm with someone else who initiates things, after a few minutes I'm fine. So I suppose it all works out in the end.

A note on the amazing people... Open mic night. My god. It was fantastic. Very humbling, too... I happened to have a notebook in my bag, so I whipped that out and jotted down some thoughts while in utter awe of my classmates' talents... "Sitting at open mic night made me feel way out of my league. I cannot write or sing... I will never be able to play guitar or perform. I can appreciate what others do... But what can I do? I am small in comparision; I am simple-minded, with tired phrases and empty verses unable to compete with their visions, the way they string their words together so smoothly and effortlessly. So I shall sit at the table, admire and applaud... I fade into the background, fade to black as they are front and center, shining in the spotlight."

So that's that... It's past 3 am now. I kind of want to sleep... But I think I still have some emails that I should send... Hmm. I think they shall be delayed until tomorrow (technically later today, but oh well)... Yeah, I'll hopefully do that tomorrow.

No comments: